Anderson Cooper hosted a Town Hall Meeting on Sunday with the theme of ‘Bullying: It Stops Here’.
I watched the town hall meeting and I listened to the experts and took notes. I listened to the kids and took even more notes. I listened to Anderson Cooper say this about the kids:
“We owe them more than talk”.
Benjamin Franklin nailed this a long time ago saying:
Well Done is Always Better Than Well Said.
The Town Hall Meeting revealed:
- Statistics from the survey at Wheatley High School were similar to most other surveys
- Kids are still not sure how to intervene – 77% of bystanders did not intervene
- Kids and Adults are not reporting incidents – 81% of incidents were never reported
- Experts are saying the same things over and over
- Kids are saying the same things over and over
- School Administrators are saying the same things over and over
I watched Kyle, a bullied student from Anoka-Hennepin, and asked how can something like this be allowed to happen over and over?
I watched a movie from ‘The Bully Project’, and asked how can something like this be allowed to happen over and over?
In the coming days and weeks, stay tuned to Awareity’s Blogs, Tweets and News to see how real prevention and real results can be achieved.
Prevention = Well Said AND Well Done…..and we owe it to kids and schools and parents to take next steps beyond just talk and saying the same things over and over.